Recent Posts

September 01, 2009

Refund this book?

A few weeks ago, I ordered a book through Alibris. It was an old edition of a book that would help me design a syllabus, if I ever end up teaching literature. Its condition was described as Very Good, meaning little wear and no marks or highlighting. When I opened the book I received, I discovered it was full of highlighting and sloppy underlining.

It was a total no go. The book was very cheap -- $2 -- but with shipping, it added up. More than anything, I wanted to send a message. Just cause we're all anonymous doesn't mean quality or service should fly out the window. I, for one, care.

I sent this admittedly terse email Monday:
Hello,

I received the book _Beginning Theory_ and I would like to send it back for a refund. It is in much worse condition than was specified in your description. I am very disappointed in your service. Please send me a shipping voucher or some manner to send it back without paying for shipping, and refund my credit card when you receive the book.

La Roxy
Moments later, I got this response.
Thank you for your email. I am terribly sorry you received an incorrectly listed item. We strive to accurately list and ship books but sometimes errors occur. I have refunded your order in full and apologize for this inconvenience. You may keep or donate the book that was sent to you.

Warm regards,

Honorable Merchant
Result: Refund, and avoided the hassle of sending it back. That's what I call a convenient return policy! I will donate the book to Goodwill, though I have a creeping suspicion they will not accept it -- because of that darned highlighting! But I'll try.
blog comments powered by Disqus